If you go to a farmer to ask which the best source of fertilizer is, is it Organic fertilizer or Chemical fertilizer? The answer that you will receive will be a pretty debatable one. If you ask the same question to the plant, they won’t be able to tell the difference because they will absorb anything without knowing the difference, even if it’s bad or good. Also, the plant won’t be able to tell you because they can’t speak but you could see the difference in the growth and the output of the crop production by using certain fertilizers. A good fertilizer always contributes to sustainable agriculture.
What is a Chemical Fertilizer?
A chemical fertilizer is an inorganic material that is made out of synthetic origin which is added to the plant for sustainable & quick growth.
What is an Organic Fertilizer?
Organic fertilizers are substances that are made from the remains of natural organisms that already have the essential nutrients to boost the growth of the plant.
What is the difference between Organic fertilizers & Chemical fertilizers? How does it work?
Organic Fertilizers are minimally processed products where the nutrients are bound in the natural form instead of extracting or reﬁning the material. It is often made from the waste of the plant or animal such as bone, blood meal, ﬁsh emulsion, cottonseed meal, sewage sludge, manure, etc. Organic fertilizer is more sold off as a soil conditioner rather than being sold as a fertilizer.
Beneﬁts of Organic Fertilizer:
- It improves the structure of the soil that further enhances the ability to hold water and nutrients.
- It can improve the quality of the soil over time that will ensure the healthy growth of the plant.
- As this is a slow-release fertilizer, the chances of harming your plant with over-fertilizing compounds will be less.
- It has no risk of toxic buildup of chemicals & salts which is harmful in the long run of the soil and plant.
- It is environment friendly, sustainable, biodegradable, and renewable which makes it a perfect product for environmentally conscious farmers and good for the ecosystem.
- Organic fertilizers cannot be made speciﬁcally for a plant that can suit its nutrient level.
- The nutrient levels are lower than that of chemical fertilizer.
- It’s not that easy to make a DIY organic fertilizer as it’s a very complicated and messy process that leads to inconsistent results.
Chemical fertilizers are made up of synthetic compounds which increases the yield of the crop production. Some of the fertilizers are made up of nitrogen, some contain ammonium and others are phosphate-based. There are also blended chemical fertilizers that are made from several nutrients such as ammonium, phosphate, potassium, chloride, and other nutrients.
- Chemical fertilizers are most renowned for the maximum production of crops.
- It can be customized for a particular plant that supports speciﬁc nutrient content which is most required for the growth of the plants.
- They are cost-effective.
- It can be used to fertilize the soil immediately within a short span of time.
- It is harmful to the micro-organism living in the soil as it increases the acidic level in the soil.
- Chemical fertilizers do not hold so well in the water thus they can be ﬂushed out sooner which leads to fewer nutrients for the plant.
- It can encourage plant disease as it has a high level of nitrogen and phosphate.
- They are more beneﬁcial for the growth of the plant but they can have an adverse effect on the soil.
Farmers support both kinds of fertilizers because they have their own advantages and disadvantages. Some of them use organic and chemical fertilizers together to balance out the effect. Even though chemical fertilizers are used to force the crops to grow sooner which is beneﬁcial for the quick production of crops but over time the soil can suffer a deadly effect. On the other hand, organic fertilizer has a slow effect, but over time it does more good than bad by improving the quality of the soil. The use of the fertilizer all depends on the necessity, but in the long run, it’s always better to use organic fertilizer because it is environmentally good and it’s completely safe.