Brinjal (Solanum melongena), also known as eggplant or aubergine, is a easily cultivated plant belonging to the family Solanaceae. Its fruit is high in nutrition and in general. The fruit and other parts of the plant are used in traditional medicine.
Planting Time –
June to July
Seed rate –
The 700 gms to 1000 gms seed required to raise the seedlings for 1 ha area.
Of all the solanaceous vegetable, brinjal is the most sensitive to frost and low temperature. It requires about five months of frost-free period for proper growth and development. It flourishes best during warm growing season with a temperature range of 25 – 27 oC.
Integrated Pest Management –
- Select healthy seed plants.
- Crop rotation by proper water management.
- The vegetables which are harvested at short intervals are likely to remain unavoidably high level of pesticide residues which can be highly dangerous to consumers.
- The excessive reliance on chemicals has led to the problem of resistance, resurgence, environmental pollution and decimation of useful animal and flora.
Fertilizers and Management –
- Brinjal being a long duration crop, requires a good amount of manures and fertilizers for high yield.
- The nutrient requirement for varieties is 100:50:50 kg N:P:K / ha and for hybrids it is 200:75:75 kg N:P:K / ha.